Breaking More New Ground

Jason and I have been doing a lot of thinking about and planning for next year’s growing season. During that process we have come to the conclusion that it would be nice to have a field block dedicated to crops that will be for the family and a place to trial new crops that we want to try. It would also be nice to have a place for some perennial crops such as strawberries, rhubarb, and asparagus. Since I do not want these crops in our regular rotation, we decided to break some more new ground, this time on the south side of the pole barn.

Since we have more space on this side of the pole barn, this plot is a full 100-feet long and 40-feet wide with room for 10 raised beds. We have learned from experience with the last two plots and this time we marked the perimeter with orange marking paint so Jason can see the edge better. The string marking was just not working! I got to work edging the grass while Jason used the rotary plow to break up the sod. Edging a 100-foot long bed was an entirely new experience – that’s a long bed!

About four hours later, the full plot was worked and ready for a cover crop. Jason seeded this plot with wheat. Some wheat we’ll cut down in the spring, while some we’ll leave to mature. Hannah and I want to try our hand at a wheat wreath for fall decorating! Stay tuned!

Leave a Reply